Posted by fawaad | Posted in Facebook Timelines, Social Media | Posted on 21-04-2012
It’s not really unconventional for Facebook to introduce overnight modifications. Chances are that more than once you have been baffled at either the introduction of new features or the complete revamping of the layout. However, this time with Timeline, they have gone a step further and mandated it for all the users. Here are a few timeline facts to help you get a hold of it.
- The banner like cover photo that is displayed right at the top could be a boon for business pages that can integrate it seamlessly with the display picture for an added effect. Further, event promotions and birthday notices too can be put up as the cover picture, do not try to hard sell through your cover pictures. Images of 50% discount or contact information are a strict no on the cover photo. Just make sure the picture resolution does not exceed 851 x 315 Pixels.
- The thumbnail images should be set at a height of 74 and the width should not exceed 111 pixels.
- There are two things that the Facebook Timeline would affect: your profile and “wall”. You can notice the change as soon as you click on your profile page, otherwise the timeline would have no effect on the news feed page.
- What appears on the timeline is at your discretion, if you do not want a particular post that you’d rather forget or an embarrassing picture to appear on your personal timeline, you can edit and remove it.
- With every change in the layout, Facebook does play around a bit with the security features as well; hence, you must give your privacy settings a customary glance.
- Like Gating isn’t a new concept. You must have come across pages where you had to “Like” it in order to gain access to the content. More like email subscribing, Like Gating might be a tad bit anti-social media considering that it’s a free forum but as a social media marketing strategy, it is bound to revert positive results.
- Apart from the cover photo, another notable change is the ability to retroactively place strategic milestones in your Facebook history. For a business page, introduction of new products, highest sales figure, achievements and anything relevant is a great way to subtly boast of their presence on Facebook for a while.
- Before your Timeline is automatically updated (even if you do not want it), you should try to sort things out. With Timeline, one does not have to go page by page, you entire life history on Facebook is displayed on your Timeline for everyone to see. You should do a bit of “cleaning” with respect to old posts and pictures.
- There has been an introduction of an increased number of apps to get the most out of Facebook and if you are afraid of being perplexed at the technicality of it all, then there are the video tutorials to guide you through.
- The Facebook tabs have always been helpful in navigating through the pages. They too have received a makeover and have been shifted to just below the cover photo. Further, this would make it more visible so you have to do a bit of customization if needs be.
The Facebook Timeline does sound big with all the major revisions and the news of it becoming obligatory but it will not propel any substantial functionality changes. It has more importantly got people, especially brands to resort to Facebook Marketing in a more creative manner or has it?
- How to Get Facebook Timelines on Your Profile TweetHere are simple step by step instructions on How to...